Complete Ålesund Art Nouveau – 7 hours full day private tour
During this 7 hour walking private tour you will discover all the Jugendstil places of Ålesund as they have never been shown before. We have created the first full day 100% Art Nouveau private tour in Ålesund.
Our guides are experienced and have a special interest in Art Nouveau, a subject that is both their speciality and their hobby. Because of their in-depth knowledge in the topic they will help you discover interesting stories about every corner of the town. That’s why you could not be in better hands, if you like Art Nouveau we are the best choice.
The town center of Ålesund was destroyed by fire in 1904, but rebuilt shortly after in Art Nouveau style, the characteristic architecture of the period, and could be taken right out of a fairy tale.
Be ready to spend a full day in the enchanting town of Ålesund enjoying Art Nouveau visiting places that are not included in other tours, like special cafés, restaurants, private buildings, a great history museum and last but not least, one of the best Jugendstil churches in Europe.
If you love Art Nouveau and travel to the Fjords area, you won’t find a better day tour to discover all that Ålesund has to offer.
Duration: 7 hours.
Price per person can be as low as 65€ depending on the size of your group.
Price per group:
1 – 10 PAX = 640€
+10 PAX – Please Contact Us
This 7-hour private tour is the most comprehensive Art Nouveau private tour available in Ålesund, a town that was entirely rebuilt in Art Nouveau style more than a Century ago.
There are 11 protected Art Nouveau buildings in the town. The difference between just looking at the façades and learning about its meaning and history is storytelling and learning. Your personal guide will give you a detailed explanation of all of these Jugendstil façades, and even of more buildings. The main inspirations for the façade decorations were pre-historic or medieval animals, plant ornamentations and also on other features of symbolism.
Our comprehensive tour is unique because, in addition to a detailed discovery of the town buildings, it includes an in-depth visit inside these three attractions accompanied by your private guide:
- Ålesund church. We could go inside this 1909 religious building and appreciate many aspects of its interior, one of the most significative the stained glass windows.The stained- glass window behind the organ were a gift from emperor Wihelm II in 1905. We will focus more in its structure (both from outside and from inside) because the decorative and functional elements found in the interior are not Art Nouveau style
- Art Nouveau Centre. Your private guide will get a summary of the Norwegian Jugendstil. The Centre is inside an old pharmacy building and offers a fascinating insight into the Norwegian art nouveau interiors and objects
- Culturehouse, the Workers association Art Nouveau building, also called “Arbeiderforeningen“. You will appreciate, amongst other views, the staircase and a very nice theatre room. This is without any doubt the best way to imagine the places people went during the first years of an independent Norway
- You will discover The only Art Nouveau Hotel in town and learn about how life was by then
This itinerary will allow you to fully enjoy this great town surrounded by fjords that looks like a fairy tale.
Lunch with Local food
Our guides are Art Nouveau lovers and also Food lovers, so they can help you discover the local food. As this is a complete full day tour you the opportunity to taste the delicacies of the local cuisine:
- For Lunch you can try Ålesund’s most popular food bacalao (cod) and learn why this industry influenced the town’s economy
- Alternatively you can taste other local food in our suggested restaurants, or even have lunch cooked by one of our local guides
- Before or after our visit to the Art Nouveau Centre we can have a coffee and cake in a relaxed way in its coffee house. During that relaxing moment your guide, probably the person with the most knowledge of the Art Nouveau in all the town, will continue informing you about the context in which Art Nouveau landed in Ålesund
Our specialised art nouveau guide can guide you in English, French, German, Norwegian, Portuguese or Spanish. Please select the language of your choice in the list below the calendar.
Pickup & Drop Off
Start and End locations can be hotel Ålesund, the town museum, the Tourist Information centre or the Art Nouveau Centre (Jugendstilsenteret). We will adjust to your needs.
For this tour we have a selection of four fully licensed local guides of the Association of Guides, all of them great experts in the Jugendstil style and with a lot of experience in guiding private tours. This is an additional guarantee of the quality of the tour. A dedicated private tour will give your visit more enjoyment, information and structure. Enjoy it.
- Art Nouveau Center: Adults NOK 85, equals aproximately 9€ – Children under 18 years Free – Students NOK 50, equals aprox. 5€ – Seniors NOK 70, equals aprox. 7€. To see rates CLICK HERE.
- Entrance ticket to Ålesund church: Adults NOK 40, equals aprox. 4€ – Children under 18 years Free.
Food or additional drinks during the tour.
- Coffee and cake in the Art Nouveau Centre
- Lunch is not included in the tour price and it must be paid directly in the restaurant. You are gently asked to pay for the guide’s meal to be able to continue with the guidance about food and culture tips given by the guide also during the lunch break, but you can choose to have some private time with your group during the meal
The walk up the top of Mount Aksla at least initially is not a part of this tour but we recommend you to walk up the 418 steps to the top in order to enjoy its unforgettable panoramic views.
From this location there is a panoramic view of the archipelago, the beautiful town centre, and the amazing Sunnmøre Alps. If you are interested in doing it during the tour, tell us in advance and we will adjust the itinerary so you can do it.
Booking issues – email or call Us
To book this private tour please select your desired date on the calendar As we ask you to book the tour ahead of time, our system may not allow you to book a tour for the next few days. If you want to book this tour for a date that is not active on the website calendar, please, contact us by email at email@example.com or by phone at Call (34) 667 823 001 and we will make our best to organise the tour in such a short notice. So far, we have always found a solution, so we encourage you to contact.
This tour will operate in all weather conditions so participants should take appropriate weather gear with them. We recommend you to wear walking or comfortable shoes because this tour involves approximately 4 hours of walking and standing over paved and cobblestone surfaces with some inclines.
When Ålesund Church celebrates weddings or funerals the itinerary will only have a limited visit to the Art Nouveau church. In compensation, these days, the tour will spend more time in the Art Nouveau Center and in other places of the itinerary.
We have negotiated special rates in the Hotel Scandic Scandinavie, the only Art Nouveau hotel in the town. To get our special room rate (10% discount) please say you booked a tour with us when making a direct reservation to them firstname.lastname@example.org. You may have discounts as our clients also in some cafés and restaurants. We will inform you once in Ålesund.
Cancellation Policy – The booking can be canceled up to 2 weeks prior to the tour date. In this case you will receive a refund of the booking minus the financial fees. Further cancellations and no shows are non refundable. In this undesirable situation all amounts pending will be claimed.
The town of Ålesund is a sea port that fascinates with Art Nouveau architecture, a town that could be taken right out of a fairy tale. Amongst the main features of the Art Nouveau buildings in Ålesund stands out the decorative ornamentation of the façades based on pre-historic or Medieval animal, plant-ornamentation and also other features of symbolism in the decoration.
How it all started – During the early hours of 23rd January 1904 a terrible fire raged through Ålesund. In the space of 16 hours, 850 houses burned to the ground, and ten thousand people were left homeless. Three years later most of the town had been reconstructed and young norwegian architects inspired both by German Art Nouveau and National Romanticism rebuilt buildings in a beautiful style.
The capital of the Fjords – The town and the surrounding areas are among the most visited sites for tourists in Norway. Many use The Art Nouveau town as a starting point to explore the renowned UNESCO World Heritage Site in the Geirangerfjord, the bird sanctuary island of Runde, or the spectacular snow-capped summits of the Hjørundfjord and the Sunnmørsalpene.
Ålesund is the largest town on the northwest coast of Norway and has a spectacular setting with a fascinating Art Nouveau architecture, consisting of eleven islands close to the ocean with a backdrop of impressive mountain-peaks. The union of Norway with Sweden was dissolved in 1905, in the Art Nouveau times.
If you feel this private tour can be of interest to your friends…