Full day Prague Art Nouveau tour (8h)
From: 560 €
In this 8 hour private tour you can explore the main Art Nouveau architecture gems of Prague. The first half of the tour will be on foot, the second half with car/minivan.
This tour includes Church of St. Peter and Paul which is not included in the other full day Prague private tour.
At the turn of the Twentieth, when Art Nouveau was flourishing in a number of European capitals, a national version known as the Secession movement emerged in Prague using glass, ceramics, ironwork, and floral decorative motifs. The Secession members wanted to create works that were not influenced by history, a genre not connected with academics.
This Art Nouveau tour is the most comprehensive tour of its kind and will give you and your group an in-depth knowledge of Secession in Prague.
In Prague and in the Northern Bohemia the influences of Secese style (Austria’s art nouveau) are noteworthy. It is like this because Prague belonged to the Austrian-Hungarian Empire. The Secession members wanted to create works that were not influenced by history, a genre not connected with academics.
This private tour is the most comprehensive private tour that Art Nouveau lovers can find in the city. If you have a passion for Art Nouveau and want to see all Prague has to offer, this tour is definitely for you.
Duration: 8 hours.
Departure time: 8.30 am or 9.00am.
Prices according to size of your private group:
1 – 3 PAX = 560€
4 – 6 PAX = 620€
+6 PAX – Please Contact Us
During this comprehensive 8 hour private tour we will show you the most beautiful buildings and works of art associated with the Art Nouveau movement in the city of Prague. We will introduce you the beauty of this style which marked significantly the architecture of the Czech capital in the turn of 19th and 20th century. A part of the private tour will be made by car or minivan which will allow you to enjoy the full and see as many highlights as possible.
Some emblematic buildings and places of Secession style in Prague that may be part of your private tour are:
- Alphonse Mucha Museum, devoted to one of the founders of the Art Nouveau style. Your private guide will tell you all about the man who was one of the most defining artists of the movement. This famous Czech painter was one of the fathers of Art Nouveau style and became very famous in Paris in the turn of the 19th and 20th century
- Wenceslas Square where some excellent examples of Art Nouveau architecture can be seen
- The Jewish Quarter, which was totally rebuilt in the beginning of the 20th century and has authentic gems like the Jubilee Synagogue in Art Nouveau and Moorish Revival architecture
- Na Prikope street, which also has some beautiful buildings from this period
- Central Hotel and Imperial Hotel and the Art Nouveau buildings visible in the Senovážné and Venceslas squares
- The historic Vyšehrad Fort where you will have the opportunity to make a walk along a park with impressive views. This path will lead to the Church of St. Peter and Paul, where you will admire spectacular Art Nouveau frescoes which are a really hidden gem of the city and well worth the visit
- Vyšehrad Cemetery, the place where Alphonse Mucha is buried. Your guide will show you the plate with Mucha’s name on it in the Slevin monumental tomb where some of the most outstanding Czech personalities are laid to rest in a joint place
- The Municipal House, the real pearl of Art Nouveau in Prague. Built between 1905 and 1912 it is the most popular and representative building of the Art Nouveau period in Prague and has become a cultural center for the locals. We will be pleased to do a private tour to its interior which embraces charming salons and a concert hall.
- After the private visit inside the Municipal House your guide will show you the restaurant and also the the rooms in the basement including the American Bar. You can have a relaxing drink there to end the day excursion.
- Art Nouveau Café that opened in 1902 and has a very charming athmosphere. You can drink a coffee and enjoy one of their excellent selection of cakes. Franz Kafka used to come there with his friends and Albert Einstein also frequented this café during his stay in Prague in 1911-1912.
- the lovely apartment buildings along the embankment of the river Vltava
- Hannavsky Pavilion from which you will get a great view of the city and where you can stop for a cup of coffee.
- A guided tour inside the villa/studio of the famous Art Nouveau and Symbolist sculptor and architect František Bílek, a versatile artist and one of the most important Czech symbolists of the Art Nouveau period. There you will discover many of his original sculptures, interior fittings and furniture
- Also we will visit the Vinohrady neighborhood with its exquisite Art Nouveau streets (nice buildings like Vinohrady Theatre and the water tower)
- the hidden gem of the Main Train Station built in 1905 and also the exhibition pavilions from the end of the 19th century
- the Art Nouveau Čech Bridge
Besides visiting the most well-known examples of this architecture style and admiring breathtaking places, you will also have the unique opportunity to discover hidden gems, beauties of Prague that are hardly found in guide books.
Our tour is Art Nouveau focused but if you like your guide will also introduce you to the rare examples of Prague Art Deco or Cubism that were sometimes closely related to Art Nouveau.
For Lunch we can book for you in one of these recommended three Art Nouveau restaurants: the French restaurant from the Municipal House, the Plzenska restaurant from the Municipal House and the restaurant in the Café Imperial House. If it is of your interest we will book the restaurant of your choice in advance because at high season these great restaurants can be fully booked. Please specify your restaurant preference when booking.
Our guide will have lunch with you or, if you prefer, you will have some time alone with your selected group.
Pickup & Drop Off
At 8:30 or 9:00 Pick up from the hotel (if centrally located) to start the part of the private tour that will be on foot. If your hotel is not in the city center we will indicate a central point for the meeting. The last ride of the journey will bring you comfortably back to your hotel or the place where you want to end the tour.
Things to Bring
Pending cost of the private tour price in cash.
You will be accompanied by a local certified guide who is both an expert and in love with Art Nouveau during the 8 hours of the tour. During the second part of the tour you and your guide will be transported by a Car/minivan with a professional driver.
The entrance fee to the museums are not included in the price of the tour. Prices per person of a selection of places are as follows (these prices are indicative and change in time):
- Church of St. Peter and Paul: approximately 2€
- Mucha Museum: approximately 10€
- Bílek House: approximately 5€
The Lunch and other food or drink are not included in the price of the tour.
Municipal House: The private visit to Municipal House is not included in the basic tour but if you are interested in doing so we will ask the Municipal House for confirmation of visit. In the case that we have their approval we will remove the visit to the museum Alphonse Mucha or to the Bilek Museum (you will decide which of these two visits we will eliminate before or when meeting your private guide).
Bílek Villa is closed on Mondays.
Your private guide will set up the route of the tour together at the beginning of the tour, depending on the location of your hotel as a starting point. Of course, if you have already seen any of the buildings we will skip those ones and add others, we are flexible.
About Art Nouveau architects in Prague
Rebelling against historicism, young architects stressed that a more modern type of architecture was necessary to express their artistic creations. They designed buildings boasting geometric shapes and incorporated decorative elements stemming from nature, such as leaves, animals or grapevine shoots. Three-dimensional snake and salamander forms also adorned structures. Art Nouveau facades were asymmetrical with flowing lines and plastic ornamentation of lime plaster.
Me and my husband spent a whole day with our guide. She showed us the city’s artnouveau attractions, and some other buildings as well. VEry amusing day.
Pilar, Bogotá, Colombia.
If you feel that this private tour can be of interest to your colleagues share it with them in your Social Networks.